Thursday, November 17, 2011

Heavy D, Joe Frazier, Coach K, Penn St.

Music

Heavy D
5/24/67 - 11/8/11
Dwight Myers, aka "Heavy D," the notorious "Overweight Lover," passed away last week at the age of 44. Heavy D (and the Boyz) enjoyed moderated success in the late 80's, early 90's. Most of us know his work on "Now That We Found Love" and "Nuttin' But Love." Heavy was also responsible for both opening themes of "In Living Color" and MadTV. What many don't know is how successful Heavy was in other endeavors. He became the first rapper to head a major music label when he became president of Uptown Records. During this time, Heavy helped develop the talents of Mary J. Blige and had Sean "Puffy" Combs as an intern. Later on he became the senior vice president of Universal Music. Heavy D also tried his hand in acting, both in plays, television and film. This is one of those guys who has contributed much to his art form and whose contributions outweigh his commercial success. Let's take time to appreciate the man and what he contributed to modern music.

"It was all a dream I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine..." Notorious BIG 







New Releases


Nov. 15th

Drake
Take Care

This is one of the most anticipated releases of 2011. Following his debut album, Thank Me Later, Drake puts forth his sophomore effort. This album has already spawned two singles, Headlines and Make Me Proud. Drake belongs to perhaps the hottest record label in the industry with Young Money Entertainment. I won't recommend or criticize this album. Instead, I will call it as I see it. This album is probably like his first and most likely similar to other artists on this label, such as Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj. If you like this kind of music.....great. If you are like me, I find that this music has good beats with moderate lyrics. I am going to sample this before I even think about buying this.







Nickelback
Here & Now

This will be the seventh studio album by Canadian rockers, Nickelback. This is a follow up to their Dark Horse album that went multi-platinum. Two singles have already been released from this album, "When We Stand Together" and "Bottoms Up." I wanted to give this a thumbs down soooo bad, but I just couldn't in all fairness. I am sure this album will sell well, they always do. I am sure they will have a few radio hits, they always do. I am just sick of Nickelback. Is anyone with me on this? I know Detroit is. They recently signed a petition to not have Nickelback play there. HAHAHAHA...are you serious? I feel like I need a break, seriously....oh yeah and blond perms are soooo out.  





Daughtry
Break the Spell

This is the third studio album from rockers, Daughtry. Their first two albums fared very well, both going multi-platinum. The only reason I didn't give this a thumbs-up is because it is reported that this album is supposed to be nothing like the first two. I am not saying this couldn't be a thumbs up, that precursor just makes me nervous. That being said, three of the songs are being used in ESPN programming, "Renegade," "Louder Than Ever," and "Outta My Head." I hope this album is better than the first two and that the new sound is successful. All this being said, I am still going to purchase this album.






Nov. 22nd

Snow Patrol
Fallen Empires

This will be the sixth studio album from Snow Patrol. Gary Lightbody reports that this is their longest and best album to date. Two singles have already been released with some success in Europe, "Called Out In the Dark" and "This Isn't Everything You Are." I don't know how I feel about this one. I was never a huge Snow Patrol fan to begin with so I am staying neutral on this one.










Sports


"Smokin'" Joe Frazier
1/12/44 - 11/7/11

The "City of Brotherly Love" lost one of it's icons last week when it lost Joe Frazier. Joe Frazier was a boxing legend. "Smokin' Joe" was an Olympic and Heavyweight world champion. Frazier first became Heavyweight champion in 1970 and also the next year when he beat Muhammad Ali in the "Fight of the Century." Two years later he was beaten by George Foreman and never regained the title. He faced Ali two more times over his career, but lost both. The third of which was the famous "Thrilla In Manila." Ali and Frazier has a rocky relationship in the years following their bouts. Initially, Ali called Joe a gorilla and later Foreman was quoted as saying that they should have thrown Ali in the Olympic flame. Both men retained respect for another and when Joe passed, Ali attended a small, personal funeral. Frazier had said that his ill feelings toward Ali were gone in a 2009 article. Ali was reported to have said that the world lost a great boxer after Frazier's death.

Highlights from the "Fight of the Century"


"I smoke on the mic like "Smokin'" Joe Frazier..." ...Inspector Deck






903!
Mike Krzyzewski, head coach of the Duke Blue Devils, now sits atop the all-time wins column of Division I basketball. He passed his friend and mentor, Bob Knight on Nov. 15th with a win over Michigan St. 903 wins is remarkable, especially by today's standards. Coach K should be celebrated for his accomplishments. He has always run a clean program and has been one of the best teachers and molders of young men. Even if you don't like Duke, or the ACC, you have to give credit where credit is due. During his tenure with Duke, Coach K has led Duke to 4 National Championships, 11 Final Fours, 12 ACC Championships, and 13 ACC Tournament titles. In addition, he is the current coach of the Men's USA basketball team and led them to gold in the 2008 Summer Olympics and again in 2010 at the FIBA World Championships. Oh yeah, and as if that isn't enough, he was an assistant coach for the 1992 "Dream Team." Congrats Coach K....you earned it!






Penn State
This logo seems to be popping up all over the place. I don't think I can do a blog, that includes sports, and not at least mention what is happening at Penn St. At this time, I am going to keep it simple. It is sad and nobody wins. This is not about Penn St. and this is not about Joe Paterno. It is about the victims. I have included a link to read the Jerry Sandusky Grand Jury report so that you can formulate your own opinions. I do feel that this story will ignite other stories around the country and encourage other people to come forward. I hope that people take this seriously and not make false claims, just for their 15 minutes of fame.


Joe Paterno
I chose this image to remember "Joe Pa" in good light. He was an outstanding coach and the all-time wins holder in Division I football. The man coached at Penn St. for 61 years, 46 of which was as head coach. That is remarkable, especially by today's standards where longevity is unheard of. Unfortunately for Paterno, his legacy will be tarnished, it has to be, but how much, only time will tell. It is sad that things had to end this way. I will share more on this when he makes a statement or when more facts surface about his involvement or lack there of in these tragic events. I do believe that the school should decline any bowl invitation this year. As unfair as this may be to the current players, I just don't see what good could come from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment