Tuesday, August 9, 2011

August 8-14

With new releases...


Available for digital download August 8th;


The Throne
Watch the Throne
This album is currently available for digital download on iTunes. It will be released on August 12th in CD format. For those of you who don't know, The Throne is a collaboration between Roc-a-fella Record's two best selling artists, Jay-Z and Kanye West. The Watch the Throne tour will be kicking off sometime in September to promote this album. This album has already spawned two singles, H-A-M and Otis. I always endorse both artists so I am looking forward to this album. Normally I worry about collaborations like this, but in past performances, Kanye seems to know his place around Jay-Z. I guess it helps when he is your boss! Enjoy! By the way....this album has hit #1 in 23 countries already.
The following albums will be available for purchase on Tuesday, August 9th;


Luke Bryan
Tailgates & Tanlines
This will be Luke's third studio release. His first two albums reached number two on the charts and I don't expect this one to be any different. His last album has been certified gold and he continues to pick up steam with his career. I am happy to hear that he co wrote 8 of the 13 tracks on this album. I appreciate any artist that writes their own material. I am sure this album will be decent, I personally have more interest in the singer/songwriter or bluegrass side of country. He will also be performing this week in Charlotte with Tim McGraw.
Gucci Mane & Waka Flocka Flame
1017 Bricksquad Presents...Ferrari Boyz


This is a collaborative album by rappers, Gucci Mane and Waka Flocka Flame of the 1017 Bricksquad. No, Waka Flocka Flame is not the pyromaniac version of Fozzie Bear. If you remember Wocka Flocka Flame was shot in Charlotte not too long ago. Apparently he has made a strong recovery. This album also contains input from other members of the squad like, Wooh da Kid, Frenchie, Slim Dunkin', Ice Burghandy, YG Hootie and production from Drumma Boy, Schife, Southside Luellen, FATBOI, and Shawty Redd. Are you flippin' serious?! Who the hell comes up with these names? Who takes this crap seriously? The cover alone makes me nauseous. Where are Statler and Waldorf when you need them? I am going to try to keep this short and sweet; I will not endorse this album. If you like this kind of rap, more power to you. I will stick with those rappers who have talent. Always remember if you don't listen to this crap.....it may go away.......I apologize if this offended anyone, it is my blog and I get to call it as I see it.

Royce da 5'9
Success Is Certain


This is the fifth studio album from Detroit rapper, Royce da 5'9. I have starting to listen to more of his material after I heard him with Eminem on Bad Meets Evil. I liked what I heard so far. On this album, he gets production from the one and only DJ Premier. There are special guest appearances by Joe Budden, Travis Barker and of course Eminem. Two singles have already been releases off of this album; Writer's Block, featuring Eminem and Second Place. The latter of which was rumored to have guest appearances by Raekwon and Method Man of Wu-Tang Clan but no longer does because of a leak of information. You are presented with two rap CD releases this week. One good and one bad.....make the right choice.





The rumor mill...


I heard some gossip about two popular bands that I wanted to share with everyone. The Kings of Leon cancelled their recent Charlotte show and have cancelled the rest of their tour. "Rumor" has it that the lead singer, Anthony Followill, has an addiction problem, "rumored" to be alcohol. As more information comes out, we shall see what the real reasons were for canceling the show and the tour. Secondly, major drama with the band Breaking Benjamin. This really sucks because I really do like this band. Apparently, last year, the lead singer, Benjamin Burnley, cancelled shows due to "vocal exhaustion or recurring illness." Very soon after, he performed a number of solo shows. So now, his band decided to release a greatest hits album without his consent. So of course what does he do? Yep, he sued his band mates. Nice.....So I hoped you liked what you heard because it sounds like Breaking Benjamin is Breaking Bad.....(two pop culture references in one sentence...nicely done Sean!) In a bit of side news, Gavin DeGraw was hospitalized after being assaulted and hit by a cab in the same night. Chalk that up as the only recent Gavin DeGraw hit......aww...too soon? Lauryn Hill's former guitarist is suing her for unpaid wages.

Album reviews...


Let's face it. There hasn't been much coming out that I have wanted to buy. I have been trying to review at least three albums per week but I have run out of current albums to review. If there is anything you want me to check out or be the guinea pig for, let me know. I will review your request and post my thoughts.

O.A.R.
King
I was a little disappointed when listening to this album. I guess I was expecting it to be a little better. Don't get me wrong, the music is still good, it was just all over the place. It reminded me of Sublime more than anything else. I miss the use of horns in their music. The only potential single I could hear on this album was Gotta Be Wrong Sometimes. The only thing that stops this from getting a bad review is that I understand that this band is progressive and likes to expiriment with sounds. You might want to give this a listen before you buy.  


This weeks throwback albums...

Nas
Illmatic
This was the debut album from one of the greatest MC's of all time. Illmatic is considered by many to be the best rap album of all time. I still listen to this album a lot. The material is dated but Nas' flow is timeless. Every time I hear N.Y. State of Mind it brings me back to the golden age of hip-hop. If you sleep on this album any longer you will be Rip Van Winkle. Get it if you don't have it....plain and simple. Why would you not want to own one of the best albums ever. As far as rap music goes, this is piece of fine art, like the Mona Lisa or the Parthenon. When you have the chance to own a piece of history, you take it.

Smashing Pumpkins
Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
In my opinion, this is the most epic rock album released in my lifetime since Pink Floyd's The Wall. I know this is a strong statement but I stand by it. Given what this album is, a masterpiece of progressive and visionary work, this is one of the all-time classics. It is a journey from start to end. Billy Corgan's songwriting is top notch and their was even heavy contributions from guitarists, D'arcy Wretzky and James Iha. Prior to this album, it is rumored that Corgan wrote tirelessly and wrote 56 songs over the course of a year. This album earned them 9 Grammy nominations and has gone 12x platinum. The album also spawned 6 charting singles. The sheer numbers are staggering. This album was intended to be a statement about the cycle of life and death. I admit it took me a couple listens to fully "understand" the album, but I loved the sound from minute one. This music is still relevant and I highly recommend this for any collector or music lover.



You oughtta know...


Ray LaMontagne
Ray Lamontagne was born to a traveling mother and a violent musician father. For this reason, Ray seldom engaged in musical activities. He spend most of his time reading in the forest. LaMontagne eventually landed in Maine working in a shoe factory. One morning at 4am, he awoke to Stephen Stills' Treetop Flyer. Ray purchased the Stills Alone album, which influenced him to quit his job and become a song writer. Let's be thankful that this chain of events happened. I admit, I first heard the song Trouble, on the Traveler's Insurance commercial. I came across the rest of the album by chance and loved it immediately. He is the epitome of current folk music and has an unmistakable raspy voice that lends a pureness to his music. You should definitely check him out.

If you like what you have heard here.....I have provided this album for download at this link. Enjoy

This week in history...

I had asked if people like this section. I had several people respond that they do. Last week I didn't add this but I will from now on. Thanks for your feedback.

2001

Avenged Sevenfold
Warmness On the Soul

Toby Keith
Pull My Chain

Michelle Branch
The Spirit Room

Alison Krauss
New Favorite

K.D. Lang
Live by Request

1991

Metallica
Metallica

Brooks & Dunn
Brand New Man

Cypress Hill
Cypress Hill

1981

Debbie Harry
Koo Koo

Bob Dylan
Shot of Love

Luther Vandross
Never Too Much

1971

Al Green
Al Green Gets Next to You


Happy Birthday...
August 8th;

Drew Lachey (98 Degrees)
35

JC Chasez (N'SYNC)
35

Scott Stapp (Creed)
38

Mohandas DeWese (Kool Moe Dee)
49

David Howell Evans (The Edge/U2)
50

Richard Allan Ream (Rikki Rockett/Poison)
50

August 9th;

Dedrick Rolison (Mack 10)
37

Whitney Houston
48

Curtis Walker (Kurtis Blow)
52

August 10th;

Michael Bivins (New Edition/Bell Biv DeVoe)
43

Patti Austin
61

Ronnie Spector (The Ronettes)
68

August 11th;

Asher Roth
26

Chris Kelly (Mack Daddy/Kriss Kross)
33

Joe Jackson
57

Eric Carmen
62

August 12th;

Teren Delvon Jones (Del the Funky Homosapien)
39

Anthony Ray (Sir Mix-a-lot)
48

Mark Knopfler
62

August 14th;

David Crosby
70

Dash Crofts (Seals & Crofts)
71

In Charlotte...

This weeks venue of note is the Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheater. On Tuesday, the Goo Goo Dolls will be performing. Go support a hard working band from Buffalo. Wednesday, the Get $leazy Tour tramps into town featuring Ke$ha. This should be a high-energy, entertaining show. Finally, on Saturday, legendary band, Chicago, rolls into town with their multi-person brass band. This is the place to be. If you at least get to one show...go enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Yo man, glad to see you're putting that vast array of knowledge to use.

    I do love Ray (like a whole bunch), but would have to disagree with him being the epitome of folk. Although it is your blog, so I guess you get the final choice eh? Either way, it's really all quibbling over definitions; he's a great-great singer songwriter, thanks for posting about him.

    If you dig him and want something with even a little more folksy-bluegrassy-indie feel, check out "Beware of the Maniacs" by The Dodos.

    Here is a link to the album:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?1sz24b93yp1zq63

    ReplyDelete