Wednesday, October 12, 2011

October 17 - 23

I am switching up my blog. I have been on hiatus for some time. I didn't really like the direction this site was going. I began to feel burdened to complete this weekly when I initially started it for fun. I decided to include some more ideas that I am familiar with. I hope you all enjoy, and as always, I welcome your input.



Music

R.E.M. takes a rest after 30+ years:
 

 R.E.M. decided to call it quits after 30+ years of musical contribution. They released this statement on their website on September 21st, "To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." They formed in Athens, Georgia as an integral member of the college rock scene. They should be appreciated for paving the way for the alternative and indie rock movements. I think you have to identify them as one of the best, consistent and influential American bands of all time. No doubt, many of you have an extensive R.E.M. play list. Most people know the words and always sing along whenever the songs come on. My only regret is that I got into R.E.M. a little too late. I missed most of their early, classic albums and have only enjoyed them in retrospect. Thanks for the music.....

New Releases

Jane's Addiction
The Great Escape Artist

This is the fourth studio album and the first in eight years by Jane's Addiction. This album has already produced two singles, the second of which is entitled, Irresistible Force. I absolutely love this song. I highly recommend checking it out. From what I understand, this is true Jane's Addiction sound with some modern influences from bands such as Radiohead and Muse. This was a strong effort from the band to put together a solid, memorable album. Perry Farrell, lead singer, stated that he wanted the record to "have a groove impact and hit you like an atom bomb. We've been doing that, so I feel like I'll die happy after this record." Check it out and let me know what you think.


Everlast
Songs of the Ungrateful Living

I will be the first to admit that my input about this album is biased. I have been a huge Everlast fan since his days with House of Pain. I have liked his solo albums as I enjoy the rough mix of rock and hip-hop. This kind of music is not for everyone so be careful. I couldn't find much information about the album but I imagine that you would be better off sampling the album before you buy. Nonetheless, I am still giving it a thumbs up based on who it is. Enjoy!

Montgomery Gentry
Rebels On the Run

This is the seventh studio album by hugely successful duo, Montgomery Gentry. Not much information has been provided for this album. However, one interesting note; inside one lucky CD will be a golden ticket to win a custom Demented Cycles motorcycle. 

Patrick Stump
Soul Punk

This will be the debut album by former Fall Out Boy front man, Patrick Stump. What impressed me most about this album is that he did everything on his own for this album, including, performing, composing, writing, playing over 10 instruments and producing this album. WOW! The album is already getting strongly positive reviews. I only hesitate to give this a thumbs up because I am personally, somewhat resistant to the quality of modern music. I most likely will give it a try. 

Lalah Hathaway
Where It All Begins

The First Daughter of Soul releases her 6th studio album. Again, I may be biased because I am a huge fan of Donny Hathaway. Either way, this girl can sing. If you like classic R&B, you should like this album. If not, stay away or sample the record. 



Sports

This week the NFL lost one it's biggest personalities when it lost Al Davis. For me, the loss was bittersweet. In one sense, the man is a legend and the face of the Raider franchise. He was one of the pioneers of the game and perhaps the biggest driving force behind the merger of the NFL and AFL. He is exactly what is missing from the game today, an owner who is not afraid to challenge the status quo. In the other, the man perhaps held on too long and became irrelevant to today's NFL. His bold statements and draft picks have handicapped the Raiders since the fall of their glory days. He was also known to hold grudges, even to the point of handicapping the entire franchise. Which ever side you choose, the man was an integral part of pro football for decades. I also think it is a shame that Sports Illustrated could not include him as a cover story. He may not sell magazines but he is at least worth a mention. Instead we got Jimmy Johnson....whatever. RIP Al.
1929 -2011


He's not a rookie mother, he's a Newton:
 













It's official, Cam Newton has already been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Congratulations Cam!! I guess I would expect people here in Charlotte to be quick in anointing him a savior, but it seems that others around the country are steady piling on the Cam Newton bandwagon. In all seriousness, why not? The man has come in and made a mediocre team competitive, has a huge arm, and has the ability to extend plays. In addition, through five weeks, he has thrown for over 1600 yds. and been responsible for 12 TD's (7pass/5rush). This is a good looking, confident kid with a world of potential. If the Panthers were smart, they would sign this kid for life and surround him with a plethora of talents to keep him interested and hungry. We could see a perennial contender.




Culture

Apparently there is a new fad emerging in the fast food culture. It is called the, and forgive me readers, the McGangBang. Now the interesting thing is that this comes in breakfast McGangBangs or lunch/dinner McGangBangs.

For the breakfast version, you take


For those of you keeping track at home, that's a sausage, egg and cheese McGriddle, with a chicken biscuit smushed in between. The lucky customer in the picture was conscience enough to order hash browns as well.....wow.

The lunch/dinner version is...

This is a McDouble with a McChicken smashed in the middle. I have not been brave enough to try either version. Maybe that is why I am available to write this blog today. Hey, I know, what's worse than a fast food sandwich......two fast food sandwiches crammed together against their will. Evolution my friends.


Be careful of the path you choose....
He could have been someone completely different.




Let's face it, there are some words and phrases you just shouldn't use in everyday conversation. I am starting a word wall to include all words and phrases that should be omitted from your vocabulary. Some of these words push gender line expectations, some are overused in today's culture and some words are just plain stupid. The first installment on the word wall is "Dicey." Ex. This situation is getting a little dicey. No good! Time to retire this word...

DICEY

No comments:

Post a Comment