Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 10-16

With new releases...


Tuesday, June 14th;

Barry Manilow
15 Minutes
I am not a huge fan of Barry Manilow. Don't get me wrong. I will listen to Mandy occasionally but for the most part, he is not my cup of tea. I know he has his superfans and of course to each their own. I cannot in the good taste of this blog endorse this album. I have no intention of buying or ever listening to this album. If you are a fanilow of Barry Manilow.....I hope you enjoy.








Owl City
All Things Bright and Beautiful
I am not highly familiar with Owl City's music. I think most people have heard their song Fireflies. Most of their music seems similar and very popish/bubblegummy. I think those are two made-up words but they are a good fit. I obviously have not heard this album yet, but from all the reviews I have read, it doesn't sound like it is going to be very good. This is an album your kids may like but if you are over 16, chances are this is not what you are looking for.








Marc Broussard
Marc Broussard
I have always liked Marc Broussard. I have always thought that he is underrated and lacks commercial endorsement. If you have never heard him before, check out some of his older albums. If you like them, you may want to pick this one up. I would recommend that you at least give this album a listen. It is the only album being released this week that I would consider buying. Chances are, I will listen to music snippets on Amazon.com and then get any of the singles I like. Other than that, I will save myself some money and wait for a more significant upcoming release.






Ziggy Marley
Wild and Free
I may be criticized for saying this, but I think that musical talent skipped this Marley. I think Bob was obviously a legend and I think Damian is relevant and more applicable to what Reggae music is and needs to be today. I appreciate Ziggy's spirit but I think his music falls short of his relatives. If you like this style of Reggae or Island music, more power to you. I will stick with playing old records of Bob and listening to the rough voiced collaborations that Damian has with current hip-hop musicians.








With music...

I will be rating these albums based on a 6-pack of Guinness. I will try to include icons when I can figure out how.

Foster the People
Torches
This band from LA, formed in 2009. The lead guitarist/singer's name is Mark Foster. Originally, the band was called Foster & the People. People misheard it and the name stuck as it evokes the feeling of taking care of people. I first heard Pumped Up Kicks during a live performance on TV and realized I had to check them out. After listening, it is clear that none of the other songs on the album match the potential of Pumped Up Kicks. However, the album was fun; it had good energy and the sound you would expect from an Indie album. The album was alright. I would recommend it only if you like Indie music.





Rating: 2.5/6 

Warren Haynes
Man In Motion
Warren Haynes is rock royalty. He currently heads for the band Gov't Mule, but has played with the Allman Brothers Band and the Grateful Dead. If that wasn't enough, he has also had recurring appearances with Dave Matthews, David Allan Coe, Corrosion of Conformity, and the Derrick Trucks Band. The dude was born to jam. This album was pretty much what I expected. It is classic Haynes. If you like Jam Band and Blues Rock, you will like this. The album was a good listen. I would recommend this to those of you who are familiar with his music and enjoy the genre of music only. If you like popular music, this album is not for you.






Rating: 3/6

Tedeschi Trucks Band
Revelator
Derek Trucks comes from good music stock as well. He is the nephew of Butch Trucks, a founding member of the Allman Brothers Band. Derek plays with Allman Brothers Band sometimes and has frequent interactions with previous entry, Warren Haynes. This particular album features the collaboration with his wife, Susan Tedeschi. The Tedeschi Trucks band is an 11 member crew formed from both husband and wife's solo projects. I was kind of surprised at how much I liked this album. Having his wife singing really added a new level to his music. The music is consistent of what you come to expect from the Derek Trucks Band but it flows more smoothly with his wife singing lead. Again, if you like Blues Rock you should like this album. I would recommend you at least give it a listen.
Rating: 4/6


This weeks throwback albums...

The Pharcyde
Labcabincalifornia
Even though this album didn't do as well as their debut, I still consider this more of a hip-hop staple. This alternative hip-hop group from South Central LA blended a smooth delivery with some funky beats. This album deals mainly with issues like success, drug abuse and relationships. In 1995, most rappers from LA talked about guns drugs, money and women. This album provided a refreshing pause to the music we were receiving from LA at the time. I provided you with a sample of my favorite track off the album, Runnin'.








Van Morrison
Moondance
Moondance, And It Stoned Me, Crazy Love and Into the Mystic. The last of which is my wedding song. Into the Mystic always makes me smile. This is a nod and tribute to my most loyal supporter, my wife. They say that behind every good man is a great woman and it is no different here. Check this album out, Van Morrison is classic and I always endorse Irish musicians. To my wife: thanks for the support.







This week in music...



2001

June 12th;

AZ
9 Lives
Blink 182
Take Off Your Pants and Jacket














Electric Light Orchestra
Zoom













Sugar Ray
Sugar Ray














1991

June 11th;

Cher
Love Hurts













Natalie Cole
Unforgettable...with Love













Seal
Seal













Skid Row
Slave to the Grind













June 14th;

Type O Negative
Slow, Deep and Hard













Frank Zappa
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol.4













1981

June 15th;

Duran Duran
Duran Duran













June 16th;

The Carpenters
Made In America


In Charlotte...

Amos' Southend

Friday, June 10th;

Crave More

Saturday, June 11th;

Appetite for Destruction (Guns N Roses Tribute)

Blumenthal Performing Arts Center

No current music events

Bojangles Coliseum

No current music events

NC Music Factory

Fountain Plaza

Friday, June 10th

Vertical Horizon
Remember this single?


The Saloon

Saturday, June 11th and Sunday, June 12th;

School of Rock
They will be covering Tom Petty; Green Day and Indie Music. Kids under 7 are free!!!!!!!!

Ovens Auditorium

No current music events

Time Warner Cable Arena

Friday, June 10th

Josh Grobin
This is one of those concerts by one of the most wholesome singers of our generation. This is one of those concerts where you will remain in your seat but your spirits will be lifted.


Verizon Wireless Amphitheater

No current music events

Visulite Theatre

Friday, June 10th;

Chasing Edison; Bubonic Funk; Yesterday's Gravy













Tiempo Libre













Monday, June 13th;

JD Souther










Wednesday, June 15th

Dave Alvin & the Guilty Ones










Thursday, June 16th;

Over the Rhine

No comments:

Post a Comment